Social Work Organization
SWO Officers for 2012-2013
President: Nancy Wilson
Vice Pres. Marsha Hanley
Thank You for Serving: 2011-2012
President: Rebecca Bittala
Vice Pres.: Sue Postle
Sec/Treas. Desire'e Greer
In harmony with the Ursuline College emphasis on critical thinking, mature judgment and choice, and commitment to continued learning, the SWO provides opportunities for its members to put principles learned in social work into action. Our Goals
- To provide support for social work majors and raise awareness of social welfare concerns among the Ursuline College community.
- The organization acts as a vehicle for its members to develop leadership skills and to participate in service activities and educational experiences.
- Students of diverse racial, religious, and economic backgrounds will have the opportunity to work together in an atmosphere of respect, fairness, and courtesy.
Community Participation in the Program and Student Contributions in the Community
The Social Work Program at Ursuline College has placed approximately 100 students in community agencies in Northeast Ohio. These students have benefited from the supervisory efforts of social workers in these agencies. Field instructors and their social work colleagues have provided over 3,300 hours of individualized supervision to Ursuline students and have shared their professional feedback, support, and expertise with the faculty of the Program.
Students placed within these agencies have provided approximately 48,000 hours of service to clients and social service agencies in Northeast Ohio. In addition students have contributed service hours through community service projects of the Social Work Organization and Ursuline College outreach efforts.
Community Service and Leadership development: The Social Work Organization (SWO) originates in the mission of the Social Work Program. The following is a list of projects and events:
Past Events: T- Shirts for the SWO; Donuts for a Cause; Adoption of Prestigious Living resulting in donation of money and small Welcome Bags for the women; Alumnae-Student Dialogue; Senior Farewell; Junior-Senior Dialogue; Participation in College food collection for ‘Homeless Stand Down’; Collection for Providence House – crisis nursery; Cooked and served meals at the Catholic Worker Storefront for individuals in the neighborhood.
Community Service and Program Projects: 2010-2011
- Celebration of the Twentieth Anniversary of the Social Work Program and Distinguished Social Work Alum, 2010: 9-21-2010
- Halloween Costume Drive: Fatima Family Center Day Care Center, in Hough Neighborhood
- Socks for the Homeless: Mental Health Services Outreach
- Student Volunteer at the Baccalaureate Program Directors' Annual Meeting, Cincinnati, Ohio: Rebecca Bittala
- Support the Troops: Campus-wide Letter Writing and Donations through the Akron Office.
- Senior Farewell Celebration, May 6, 2011
- Omicron Eta Chapter of Phi Alpha Induction Ceremony, May 6, 2011
- Attendance at the Social Work Program Advisory Board Meetings: October 26, 2010 and June 7, 2011.