Ursuline College Athletic Insurance Information
To the parents of student-athletes:
Ursuline College carries an Athletic Medical Insurance Policy for all student-athletes in the event of sports-related injuries. The purpose of this letter is to outline how the Athletic Medical Insurance Policy works.
Ursuline College’s Athletic Medical Insurance is a secondary policy. Therefore, the parent’s medical insurance company is considered primary and will be billed first. If the athlete does not carry primary insurance, then Ursuline College Athletic Medical Insurance will be the primary insurance.
Ursuline College’s Athletic Medical Insurance ONLY covers athletic injuries. This includes only athletic injuries that occur as a result of an official supervised athletic practice or contest. This does not include injuries caused by participation in intramural or recreational sports. Furthermore, it does not cover sore throats, earaches, blood work, infections, or any additional testing for medical clearance, etc.
Ursuline College’s Athletic Injury Reporting Procedures. Any athlete is permitted to see a physician or an outside provider for an athletically related injury as long as she received prior approval from the Certified Athletic Trainer. If prior approval is not obtained, it may result in a loss of insurance coverage for any medical expenses incurred. Exceptions include any athletic related emergency in which the training room is closed, the Athletic Trainer is unavailable, or the athlete is traveling with her team without the Athletic Trainer present. If there is an emergency resulting from an athletic injury and the athletic trainer is not available, then the athlete should seek immediate medical attention and follow-up with the Athletic Trainer either 24 hours after the emergency or prior to further athletic participation.
The following procedure will need to be followed in the event that your daughter incurs a sport-related injury:
- The student will need to complete an Injury Claim form.
Forms are available from the Athletic Department Secretary and from the Ursuline College Athletic Trainer. The appropriate personnel will assist the student-athlete in filling out the claim form.
- If the student athlete needs medical attention, she must provide the physician/hospital with her primary insurance card and a copy of the injury claim form.
- After the primary insurance has paid its portion of the bill, the athlete will submit the following to the Athletic Department:
1. Current itemized physician/hospital bill – must include the condition/diagnosis, coding of treatment performed, and date expense was occurred.
2. Explanation of Benefits Form – from the primary insurance carrier.
3. Claims denied by primary insurance - please turn in any denials with the medical bill to the Athletic Department Secretary or the Athletic Trainer, otherwise the bill cannot be processed through our insurance company.
- Student- athletes are responsible for notifying either the Athletic Department Secretary or the Athletic Trainer about any changes in her insurance status.
If the paperwork is not handled in a timely manner, claims will not be paid. If unpaid bills are sent to a student-athletes home, she should forward the itemized bill and the Explanation of Benefits form to Shirley Slagle, Ursuline College Athletic Department, 2550 Lander Rd., Pepper Pike, OH 44124.
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to call Cindy McKnight at 440-684-6102.