Sustainability - How to Get Involved
There are plenty of easy steps you can take to help the mission of sustainability, on and off campus. Some of which are:
- Turn off the lights when you leave the room.
- Shut off your computer at the end of the day and put it sleep mode while you are out, your computer will use 80% less energy.
- Print with consideration. Print double-sided papers when you can or use recycled paper.
- Walk/bike more often to conserve gas and cut down on air pollution.
- Shut off the water while brushing your teeth.
- Don't leave the shower running while shaving your legs or conditioning your hair. Each minute in the shower uses 2 gallons of water.
- Wash dishes by hand, shutting off the water in between rinsing dishes.
- Use power strips and shut them off when you're not using the appliances. Chargers, fans and other electrical appliances still draw electricity even when the're off.
- Only do a load of laundry when you can fill the washer.
- Recycle! Recycle bins are located in every building on campus. Separate your papers, plastics and waste.
- Don't use bottled water. Tap water is actually held to higher regulations and is checked multiple times a day, not to mention you will be cutting down on plastic consumption. Instead, buy a water bottle and reuse it.