Information by Subject | Nursing
Alexander Street Press
- Collection of videos for scholarly research, teaching, and learning.
- Index, abstracts and full text covering complementary , holistic and integrated approaches to health care and wellness.
CINAHL Plus with Full Text
- Index and abstracts to the literature of nursing and allied health.
- A source of reliable and up-to-date information on the effects of interventions in health care. Published on a quarterly basis, The Cochrane Library is designed to provide information and evidence to support decisions taken in health care and to inform those receiving care. The Cochrane Library consists of a regularly updated collection of evidence-based medicine databases.
Consumer Health Complete
- Everyday consumer health information.
Counseling and Therapy in Video
- (Now known as Alexander Street Press)
Online collection of videos. Coverage includes social work, psychotherapy, and psychiatric counseling. For assistance, view this online tutorial
Health Source/Consumer Edition
- Information on many health topics including the medical sciences, food sciences and nutrition, childcare, sports medicine and general health.
Health Source Nursing/Academic Edition
- Index, abstracts, and full text focusing on many medical disciplines.
History of Science, Technology & Medicine
- Index to journal articles, books, proceedings, and other literature in the history of science, technology and medicine, and allied historical fields.
- A database of Patient Advisory Leaflets from Lexi-Comp that provides education on medications for patients. The database consists of over 1,450 medication and natural product leaflets, with an additional 600 Spanish language leaflets representing the most subscribed and commonly used medications.
- Catalog of books and other materials held in the Besse Library as well as access to books and materials held at Ohio college and university libraries.
MEDLINE with full text (EBSCO)
- A comprehensive index for medical journals and provides full text for more than 1,370 journals.
Ovid - Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Nursing & Health Professions Premier Collection
Proquest Nursing & Allied Health Source
- PubMed is service of the National Library of Medicine that includes over 16 million citations from MEDLINE and other life science journals for biomedical articles back to the 1950s. PubMed includes links to full text articles and other related resources.
SPORTDiscus with Full Text
- Bibliographic and full text coverage of sport, fitness and related disciplines.
General Medicine and Health
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - Data and Statistics Page
Child Welfare Information Gateway
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services site with information about child abuse and links to related sites.
Contagion: Historical Views of Disease and Epidemics
- A collection from Harvard University of historical pamphlets, serials, books, and manuscripts totaling over 500,000 pages. Covers 8 specific historical epidemics. The "General Materials" area is worth a look as it provides access to brief overviews of important concepts such as germ theory, public health, vaccination, medical geography, and humoral theory.
- Information about marketed drugs, including FDA approved labels.
Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010 - USDA
- Total diet planning, eating behavior patterns, nutrient-dense food intake, an energy-balanced diet, and weight management across the life span. Organized with easy-to-navigate table of contents, the site offers quick PDF downloads of the entire 2010 document or for each of the six individual chapters.
Dietary Supplements Labels Database
- Provides label information from over-the-counter products such as vitamins, minerals, botanicals, amino acids, and other specialty supplements sold in the US.
- Information about cultural beliefs, medical issues and other related issues pertinent to the health care of recent immigrants to Seattle or the U.S., many of whom are refugees fleeing war-torn parts of the world.
- Links to directories in clinical subjects and medical specialities plus links to medical pictures.
MEDLINEplus (Health Information for Consumers)
- Reliable consumer health information from the National Library of Medicine, the National Institutes of Health, and other government agencies and health-related organizations. Also has information about drugs, an illustrated medical encyclopedia, and health news.
- Information on issue-oriented questions about education, science, technology, and health in the U.S.
National Guideline Clearinghouse
- Evidence based clinical guidelines and related materials.
National Institutes of Health
- A to Z of NIH health resources, clinical trials, health hotlines, MEDLINEplus,drug information.
National Library of Medicine Specialized Information Services
- Information resources and services in toxicology, environmental health, chemistry, HIV/AIDS, and specialized topics in minority health.
Nursing, History and Health Care
- Multidisciplinary scope of the information resources provide a panoramic view of the forces driving the development of a health care profession.
- A database on reproductive health, containing citations with abstracts to scientific articles, reports, books, and unpublished reports in the field of population, family planning, and related health issues.
U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services (Healthfinder)
- Links to selected information and web sites from over 1,700 health-related organizations.
World Health Organization
- United Nation's site on International Health. Users may search for information by individual country.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Federal agency for evidence-based practice.
American Nurses Association (Nursing World)
- Organization representing registered nurses.
American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN)
- Provides comprehensive credentialing.
American Psychiatric Nurses Association (APNA)
- A professional membership organization of members committed to the specialty practice of psychiatric mental health nursing, health and wellness promotion.
Association for Death Education and Counseling (The Forum)
- An international, professional organization dedicated to promoting excellence and recognizing diversity in death education, care of the dying, grief counseling and research in thanatology.
Center for Health Affairs (formerly Greater Cleveland Hospital Assn.)
- Addresses and weblinks to hospitals in Northeast Ohio.
Emergency Nurses Association
- Association for professional nurses dedicated to the advancement of emergency nursing practice.
Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations
- This commission evaluates and accredits nearly 15,000 healthcare organizations and programs in the U.S.
National Institute of Nursing Research
- NIH division that supports clinical and basic research in nursing. Provides grants.
National League for Nursing
- Organization for nursing education and the accreditation of nursing programs.
National Library of Medicine
- The world's largest medical library collecting materials and providing information and research services in all areas of biomedicine and health care.
Ohio Board of Nursing
- Regulatory board that licenses nurses in Ohio.
Sigma Theta Tau International
- Nursing honor society to support nursing research.