Art. Speak. Heal: Honoring Veteran Stories
March 06, 2014
Location: Tri-C Gallery East
Ursuline College’s Graduate Art Therapy and Counseling Program, in collaboration with Cuyahoga Community College’s Division of Arts and Sciences, announces its14th annual arts and healing exhibition at Tri-C Gallery East. The Ursuline/Tri-C arts and healing exhibition, which includes a free community lecture and creative counseling workshops, showcases expressive therapies and their contributions to health and wellness in northeastern Ohio.
The exhibition began fourteen years ago when Ursuline College was given the opportunity to organize a month long art therapy exhibition at Gallery East. As the only master’s level art therapy and counseling program in the state of Ohio, Ursuline College gratefully accepted this opportunity; the hope was to educate the community about the many ways the creative arts therapies have contributed to the quality of life-mentally, physically, and spiritually-in northeastern Ohio.
This year the exhibition, art. speak. heal: Honoring Veteran Stories will focus on veterans, their families, and the creative arts. The show will be a collaborative effort engaging veterans and family members from Stark to Lake to Lorain Counties. Massillon Museum, The National Museum of Veterans Art, The Peace Paper Project, and the Louis Stokes VA Medical Hospital will be part of this visual celebration. In addition to the art exhibition, there will be a free community lecture; a roundtable discussion about the value and availability of arts and healing programs for veterans and families; and expressive therapies workshops to engage and educate.
The art exhibition will open on the evening of February 13, 2014 with a celebration in the Tri-C East Gallery followed by a free community lecture by Mr. David Peacock, Therapeutic Director of Valor Home in Akron, Ohio. Opening reception:
February 13th, 6-9 PMFree community lecture:
February 13th, 7 PM
Mr. David Peacock, Therapeutic Director Valor Home
Creative Arts and Healing Workshops:
February 14, 2014, 9 AM - 1 PM
Tri-C Eastern CampusCEU’s for counselors, social workers, nurses and others
Co-Sponsored by the Buckeye Art Therapy Association
For more information: 440 646 8139 Panelists:
1. David Peacock, RDT, Veteran, drama therapist, Valor Home Therapeutic Director
2. Dr. Lisa Peacock, Women Warrior Project, the Vet Art Project, expressive therapist
3. Ms. Gretchen Miller, MA. ATR-BC, Certified Trauma Consultant, Peace Paper Project/Veterans Paper Workshop, art therapist
4. Mr. Richard Lasky, Viet Nam Veteran, Director, (proposed) Veterans Community Art Center, Parma, Ohio, photographer and Veteran
5. Dr. Shianne Eagelheart, LIC, Native American Ceremonial Leader, The Redbird Center for Healing, counselor and healerWorkshop presenters:
1. Dr. Lisa Peacock, drama and creative writing
2. Gretchen Miller, M.A. ATR-BC, and Laurel Larson, M.A., ATR-BC, VA Domiciliary, art therapy
3. Dr. Shianne Eagelheart, LIC, story telling and healing
Events Home Events Archive