Enhance community by preserving cultural memory.
Pursue your historic preservation career at the only undergraduate program in Ohio, and one of the few nationwide.
In this hands-on, interdisciplinary historic preservation degree program, you’ll put your knowledge into practice both in and out of the classroom, working with the heritage buildings and sites of Northeast Ohio to prepare plans for the preservation, redevelopment, and adaptive reuse of those sites. You’ll also practice critical real-world skills like grant writing and historical record documentation to prepare you for historic preservation internship opportunities across the country.
The National Council on Preservation Education credentials our Historic Preservation degree program for the strength of its curriculum and for fully meeting its standards for preservation education degrees.
Careers: Historic Preservation Bachelor’s Degree Program
Historic preservation is one of the fastest growing fields in applied history. As a professional preservationist, you will:
- Deliver presentations to build awareness for preservation issues.
- Coordinate preservation initiatives.
- Document buildings and historic sites.
- Write nominations for the National Register of Historic Places, National Historic Landmarks, National Heritage Areas, and Ohio Historic Markers Survey.
- Appraise cultural resources for government and community agencies.
- Plan for adaptive reuse and rehabilitation.
- Demonstrate the economic advantages of rehabilitation and adaptive reuse.
- Dialogue with community and government leaders to champion a sustainable society.
- Consult for architectural, engineering, environmental, interior design, government, and other cultural resource organizations.
- Protect vulnerable properties from demolition.
- Participate in preservation legal cases.
- Write grant applications.
Preservation creates thousands of high-paying, high-skilled jobs. Where do historic preservationists work?
- Architectural and design firms
- Conservation organizations
- Engineering firms
- Environmental consulting agencies
- Heritage corridors
- Historic sites and parks
- Government planning departments and landmark commissions
- National Park Service
- Restoration companies