June 26, 2020
A Message to Faculty and Staff from Ursuline College President Sister Christine De Vinne, OSU, PhD
It’s now officially—meteorologically—summer, and we’re glad for the good weather in northeast Ohio. Here on campus, it’s time for an update on our evolving plans while we work out COVID tactics.
First, thank you to each of your areas/departments for everything you have done as we reopen campus. Students and prospective students, including families on campus visits, are glad to be here! Masks and all, it’s been great seeing each other back in our offices, hallways, and favorite hideouts.
As we find our way through this very unusual season, here’s what we foresee for the weeks ahead:
- We will hold ourselves “steady state” for the next several weeks, at least through Friday 17 July. This means WFH 3 days a week and on-campus work 2 days a week; Friday mornings we are all WFH and Friday afternoons we are closed.
- In preparation for FA20 when, hoping all goes well in OH, students will join us, we expect to increase the time on campus beginning the week of 20 July. This will potentially be a staged increase of days per week. Plans will be confirmed in the weeks to come.
- Looking ahead, our first res hall students—athletes—move in F 14 Aug, with lots of student orientation events the week of 17 Aug. Classes begin M 24 Aug.
- The College will be closed Thursday afternoon July 2 beginning at 12:30p and all day Friday July 3, in observance of Independence Day.
- The next step in the electrical upgrade will take place on Friday July 10 for all buildings except Smith, Stano, Parker and the maintenance garage. This is a WFH day in any case; please do not come to campus.
We hope that this kind of step-by-step plan will give everyone an on-ramp for adjustments on and off campus. You, your peers, and office-mates will have time for micro-adjustments to your office spaces, our common spaces, and ways we accommodate each other with social distancing. At home, you and your families will have time for summer plans, child care arrangements, and perhaps your “adapted” vacation time. As in the past, please continue working with your supervisors and Kelli for extenuating circumstances.
One last caveat: we have learned that COVID conditions continue to evolve. If circumstances in Greater Cleveland or Ohio change, we will respond as needed and update plans accordingly.
Thanks and stay well and healthy,