August 12, 2020
Dear Ursuline Students:
Over the last few weeks we’ve emailed you a series of messages to help you prepare for fall semester. Today we share our wrap-up of what you need to know on Day One.
Masks & Distancing
Masks are mandatory on campus. This Q+A provides the details. Social distancing means keeping 6 feet apart, no matter how odd that feels. We’re excited to soon see you, from the eyes up and at a six-foot distance!
Your instructors will email you before the first day of class with specifics about how they are scheduling class meetings for the semester. They will let you know whether to come to class or connect via Zoom on the first day. Please check your Ursuline email and D2L daily! One easy way to access D2L is by clicking the link at the very bottom of any page on this website.
In the event that your schedule changes, a class is cancelled, or a section is moved, you will be notified of the change through MyUrsuline. Remember to check in regularly. An easy way to access MyUrsuline is by clicking the link at the very bottom of any page on this website.
The Ralph M. Besse Library is excited to welcome students to the 2020-21 academic year with the services students have always enjoyed. Our librarians would like patrons to note a few items before visiting the building.
- Students will be required to follow all guidelines for mask wearing and social distancing established on campus while in the library.
- Seating areas have been set to encourage distancing throughout the library.
- Students will be required to clean their workspaces before and after use.
- Study rooms will be open with reduced capacities.Reservations may be made online.
- Students are encouraged to place online holds to request library materials from our collections. Items from our library and OhioLINK may be retrieved through our Sidewalk Pickup Service.
- The Café will open with restricted areas and time for consumption of food and beverages in the library. The Café area will not be available for studying.
- Research and Tutoring services will be available online as well as in person.
- Clinical experiences for Nursing students will continue to take place at the healthcare facilities in a face-to-face environment. If a decision is made by the clinical partners, based on the evolution of COVID, that students are not permitted to participate in face-to-face clinicals, students will be notified and alternative clinical experiences will be utilized.
- Clinical experiences will continue until the end of the semester, including the time after Thanksgiving break.
- Each clinical institution will supply COVID education and facility-specific requirements to the students as part of their on-boarding process.
- Students will not be assigned to COVID-positive or COVID-pending patients.
Remember to social distance, even in restrooms. This may mean we have to wait in line occasionally (of course staying six feet apart). All bathrooms will be thoroughly disinfected twice daily and high-touch surfaces will get an additional cleaning once a day. Even in the restroom, masks are required and hand washing is more important than ever!
The folks at Metz are trying to ensure that diners move through the food court as quickly as possible, using the floor stickers as their guide for lining up while distanced. You’ll notice:
- Grille items will be on rotation with a special-of-the-day and five main items.
- No special orders; those with special dietary needs should speak to the Director of Food Service so that we can serve you.
- Desserts, salads, and pizza will be packaged to assist with moving the line.
- Food court will close completely from 3:30-4:30 p.m. daily for deep cleaning.
- Besse Learning Commons Café will open when classes resume.
Remember, books can be ordered online and be delivered to your home or residence hall. You should have received an email from our bookstore company, Follett, with details regarding scheduling individual appointments and ordering online, which we encourage. Shoppers will enter through the usual door but exit through the side door in the back room. Remember, the bookstore will be closed every day from 11am-noon for cleaning.
Bills & Financial Aid
You should have received your fall semester bill by now. This will be your only paper bill. All other bills will be accessible through MyUrsuline. Once in MyUrsuline, click the Student tab. The easiest way to link to MyUrsuline is from the link at the very bottom of any page on this website.
In this Together
Each one of us has the potential to be a carrier of the coronavirus; therefore, each one of us must take responsibility for acting in ways that value and protect our entire community. Fortunately, the most important steps we can take are also pretty simple steps: wash hands frequently; avoid touching your eyes, noseeee, and mouth; wear a mask; maintain social distancing; self-isolate if you experience symptoms of COVID-19.
If at any point during the semester we need to revert to all-virtual instruction because of COVID, you and our faculty and staff across campus will be prepared. We will provide full details at that time.
Let’s take care of ourselves and one another, Arrows!
Stay tuned and stay safe,
Deanne W. Hurley
Vice President for Student Affairs
Civil Rights Investigator
Kathryn M. LaFontana, PhD
Vice President for Academic Affairs